Learn how to create a 3D effect for hand-drawn letters
- Double-click the Pencil tool to open the Pencil Tool Options. Set Fidelity to Smooth. Click OK. Draw a letter using a single stroke, or path.
- Choose the Ellipse tool and Shift+drag to draw a circle.
- With the circle still selected, click the Gradient icon below the Fill color in the Tools panel. Set Stroke to None.
- Open the Gradient panel (Window – Gradient). Double-click the first Gradient slider. Click the Swatches icon and choose a color. Double-click the second Gradient slider and choose a different color.
- Use the Selection tool to select the circle. Then, Option/Alt+drag to duplicate the circle.
- Choose the Blend tool and click each circle.
- Double-click the Blend tool, select Specified Steps from the Spacing drop down, and set the desired number of steps.
- Use the Selection tool to select both your letter and the blend, go to Object – Blend – Replace Spine to create the 3D effect.
Optional: To change the direction of your blend, select Reverse spine.